BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Priorities of the Heart

    One day I sat in the library and flipped through a book on careers.  I wondered:  What interest me?  The options seemed limitless. Teachers often encouraged me to go into teaching.  My late mother supported me in anything as long as I received my degree.  Some friends even suggested counseling.  All of the options were inviting.  I looked up and down the list and thought:  What is best for me?
    College students often choose careers based on interest and values.  People who love the outdoors often choose jobs that allow them to spend time outside.  My brother enjoys building things and such, and he is a welder.  Others love to travel and choose positions that send them to exotic places.  (my enjoyment) Others want to help people and choose from a wide variety of careers that allow them to help others.
    What about you?  What do you want in a job?  What’s the importance to you?  Location, people, or money?  What you decide will tell you a lot about your priorities.  Your values will often shape which direction your life will head. 
    Solomon was someone with proper values and priorities.
    When God asked how he would like to be blessed, King Solomon revealed his priorities-and his love for God. When such things as riches, possessions, honor, power and a long life were made available to him. King Solomon chose wisdom and knowledge instead, "On that night God appeared to Solomon, and said to him, Ask! What shall I give you? And Solomon said to God: You have shown great mercy to David my father, and have made me king in his place. Now, O LORD God, let Your promise to David my father be established, for You have made me king over a people like the dust of the earth in multitude.  Now give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people; for who can judge this great people of Yours?” (2 Chronicles 1:7-10). Because King Solomon’s heart was in the right place, so were his priorities. 
    As I examine my life I look to see what is important.  I check my calendar to see where a majority of my time goes.  Writing out my priorities gives me a clearer perspective.  If anything seems out of place, I write out the action and make plans to correct the problem.